RALEIGH, N.C., (Dec. 12, 2012)—Whether you’re looking for ways to make brushing fun for your kids or just looking for unique holiday gifts, consider these stocking stuffer ideas recommended by Delta Dental of North Carolina.
- Beam Brush is a “smart toothbrush” that syncs with the Beam Brush smart phone app to track your brushing habits. The application provides a brushing timer, brushing goals and the ability to see reports on brushing habits.
- Brush Buddies carries several lines of toothbrushes designed to make brushing fun. They have toothbrushes to meet just about everyone’s needs from animal characters to a singing toothbrush line that includes songs from artists like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga. Many of them include brushing timers as well.
Delta Dental also reviewed several Android and iPhone dental apps for techy parents and kids. Below are the top three recommended apps. Delta Dental rates them five out of five stars:
- Brush DJ is toothbrush timer app that plays music from the phones music library for two minutes, the recommended length of time for each brushing session. It also has customizable reminders like when to visit the dentist and when to change your toothbrush as well as a visual display indicating which area of the mouth to focus on to assure you don’t miss any teeth. Brush DJ is a free app for iOS and Android.
- Dental Expert is an app that provides just about everything anyone needs to know about dental health. It provides information about how to choose a dentist, explains procedures, recommends good foods for teeth and much more. Dental Expert is a free app for iOS and Android.
- Monster Mouth DDS is a game app. The user plays the role of a dentist with a goal of keeping the monsters’ mouths clean while keeping pain at a minimum. The fun game is available for free for iOS phones and for a small fee for Android users.
“It’s important to make oral health fun at an early age,” said Dr. Jed Jacobson, chief science officer of Delta Dental. “The goal is to instill positive, lifelong dental habits. Be creative, turn brushing into a game, do whatever you need to do with your children to get them used to brushing twice a day, flossing and using mouthwash.”
About Delta Dental of North Carolina
Delta Dental of North Carolina, with its affiliates in Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, New Mexico, Ohio and Tennessee collectively are among the largest dental plan administrators in the nation. In 2011, the enterprise paid out $2.5 billion for dental treatment for nearly 10.4 million enrollees. Offices are located in Raleigh and Charlotte, N.C.; Sherwood and Little Rock, Ark.; Indianapolis, Ind.; Louisville, Ky.; Okemos and Farmington Hills, Mich.; Albuquerque, N.M.; Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio; and Nashville, Knoxville and Memphis, Tenn.